Section Two: Guidelines from International Recommendations for Electrocardiographic Interpretation in Athletes
The present section will provide a succinct overview of the interpretation of the electrocardiogram (ECG) in the athletic population by providing select resources for a more comprehensive understanding of ECG changes occurring in athletes, supported by examples of abnormal findings.
This document does not serve to support or refute the case for pre-participation screening with an ECG, but rather as a resource to help those providers whenever they are faced with analyzing an athlete’s ECG, including team physicians, family medicine, sports medicine, cardiology, athletic trainers and others caring for athletic individuals.
SELECT ECG INTERPRETATION RESOURCES:
1. ECGs provided in this document with brief description. ECGs obtained from Dr. Vic Froelicher.
2. “International recommendations for ECG in the athlete” provides tables and figures that clearly delineate:
Figure 2-1: Normal and Abnormal ECG Findings [PDF]
Table 2-1: Definitions of ECG Findings [PDF]
Table 2-2: Evaluation Suggested in the Setting of these ECG Findings [PDF]
- Full article found here: or [PDF]
- For further practice, please reference the University of Washington ECG Modules
- Please find Uberoi and colleagues, “Interpretation of the Electrocardiogram of Young Athletes,” at this link or [PDF]
- Please find Parry-Williams and colleagues, “Current Understanding of the Electrocardiographic Manifestations of the ‘Athlete’s Heart,’ [PDF]
- Please find Abela and Sharma’s Abnormal ECG Findings in Athletes: Clinical Evaluation and Considerations at the following link or [PDF]
Copyright Source: Journal of the American College of Cardiology; Volume 69, Issue 8, February 2017. Authors: Sanjay Sharma, Jonathan A. Drezner, Aaron Baggish, Michael Papadakis, Mathew G. Wilson, Jordan M. Prutkin, Andre La Gerche, Michael J. Ackerman, Mats Borjesson, Jack C. Salerno, Irfan M. Asif, David S. Owens, Eugene H. Chung, Michael S. Emery, Victor F. Froelicher, Hein Heidbuchel, Carmen Adamuz, Chad A. Asplund, Gordon Cohen, Kimberly G. Harmon, Joseph C. Marek, Silvana Molossi, Josef Niebauer, Hank F. Pelto, Marco V. Perez, Nathan R. Riding, Tess Saarel, Christian M. Schmied, David M. Shipon, Ricardo Stein, Victoria L. Vetter, Antonio Pelliccia and Domenico Corrado